The NSW Government is reviewing the Environmental Impact Assessment process for State significant projects in NSW in response to feedback from stakeholders and the community. This includes the post approval phase of projects.
A discussion paper has been released with ideas on how to improve planning assessments, focused on building confidence in the assessment process.
Suggested changes put forward for discussion include:
• Driving earlier and better engagement with affected communities;
• Improving the quality and consistency of EIA documents;
• Developing a standard approach for applying conditions to projects;
• Providing greater certainty and efficiency around decision-making, including assessment timeframes;
• Strengthening monitoring and reporting on project compliance; and
• Improving accountability of EIA professionals.
We welcome your feedback on our discussion paper that is out for consultation until 27 November 2016. Feedback can be provided by responding to our targeted questions, www.surveymonkey.com/r/improvingeia
and/or by completing the online submission form below.
If you cannot lodge online, you can lodge your submission by:
- email: EIAproject@planning.nsw.gov.au; or
- mail: Director, EIA Improvement Project, GPO Box 39, Sydney, NSW 2001.
Please note the Department will publish your submission on its website. Before making your submission, please read our Privacy Statement. If you want the Department to delete your personal information before publication, please make this clear at the top of your email or letter.
Responses to targeted questions will not be published individually. These responses will be summarised in a consultation report which will be made publicly available.